Summertime Tips for DAFOs
June 24, 2020
Ahh, summertime. Trips to the beach, dips in the pool, and for DAFO-wearers, a few questions:
Can DAFOs go in the water? Yes! You can wear them to the beach or even in the pool. Simply rinse in fresh water after your swim.
How should I dry wet DAFOs? Towel dry, then allow a few hours for thorough air drying. Please don't put your DAFOs in the dryer or use a blow dryer.
What’s the best summer footwear for DAFOs? There are lots of great sandals and water shoes that work well with DAFOs. A few brands to consider:
Many of these styles can be found in less expensive versions too. The most important features to look for are:
- Heel containment to keep the brace from moving around too much.
- Flexible soles.
- Lots of open space for air flow. Keep in mind that close-fitting shoes with tie or Velcro closures are best for daily use, as they provide stability and protection. Many sandals offer these features along with good ventilation.
What about socks? All our products are meant to be worn with socks, both in-and outside of the pool. A cotton/synthetic blend helps feet stay cool—especially for the summer, consider moisture-wicking socks with Coolmax® fibers.
To give toes a breather, you can shop for a pair of toeless socks. There are quite a few options on the market, or try trimming a pair of socks below the toes. We also recommend changing socks midway through a hot day to combat sweaty feet.
Any tips for cooling off hot feet? Absolutely. Try these ideas:
- Ask for more holes. When ordering, you can request extra ventilation holes in your DAFOs. These can be added later too. If needed, your practitioner can send your DAFOs to us and we’ll add air holes for free.
- A light dusting of foot powder will help the feet absorb moisture.
- Give those tootsies a break. During the heat of the day, enjoy a little down time and let those toes wiggle free.
If you have any questions on wearing and caring for your DAFOs in the summertime—or any time, for that matter—please ask your clinician or you’re welcome to contact our Customer Support team at 800-848-7332, firstname.lastname@example.org.