Boots for DAFOs
January 04, 2021
There’s no shortage of winter boots on the market, but finding a pair that fit well with AFOs and SMOs can be a challenge. Here are a few tips and brand suggestions to help you through the process:
What to look for
- Wide-opening features such as a side or rear zipper, or extended tongue
- Wide toe box
- Removable insole
- Adjustable straps for ease of donning
- You may want to shop without your child. Take the brace with you and try fitting it into the boot. Take the boots home for a relaxed fitting session, and return or exchange them if needed.
- For online shopping, consider ordering several brands/sizes, then return the boots that don’t work out.
- Check out Zappos Adaptive site for boot suggestions
UGG® Universal (available through Zappos Adaptive):
Butler (this is their orthotic-friendly Macaroni):
Shoes for AFOs (they have several styles of shoes and boots designed for AFO-wearers):
Koolway Sports (designed for non-ambulatory AFO-wearers):