Protection for boney anatomy
For patients with boney prominences or sensitive skin conditions.
Softy foam liner
- A soft foam liner ideal for the Positioning/Limited Ambulation patient presentation group. Also works for active ambulators.
- To improve shoe fit, trim distal forefoot/toe areas.
Use a DAFO Softy order form—one is available for most custom brace styles. For two-part brace designs, select “Softy foam” in the Inner Liner section of the order form.
- A soft pliable plastic that offers less bulk—a low-volume option for two-part brace designs.
- Flexible liner gives excellent control and comfort for ambulation.
Select the “Polyethylene” option in the Inner Liner or Padding section of order form.
OP Inner Boot
- Soft, flexible inner boot for a custom DAFO.
- Use a DAFO Softy order form—one is available for most custom brace styles.
Request in Special Instructions section (e.g., “OP Flex inner boot”). Additional charge.
- Best padding for active ambulators with pressure on navicular or other vulnerable weight-bearing spots.
- Does not bottom out over time.
- Can be added to any custom DAFO design.
- Pictured: PPT underneath regular padding on a standard brace (L) and Softy liner (R).
Select the “Add extra navicular padding” option in the Inner Liner or Padding section of order form. To request extra PPT padding at locations other than the navicular, indicate so in the Special Instructions section.
- Very soft padding for boney prominences that do not directly support weight (e.g., the malleoli or 1st MP joint).
Designed to conform slightly at the apex, while remaining thick in the surrounding area to provide support.
- Pictured: Plastazote on a Softy liner. On a standard brace, this pad is placed underneath the regular padding.
Request in Special Instructions section of order form (e.g., “Add Plastazote padding at the malleoli”).
Add relief to 1st metatarsal head and fill with PPT
- For patients in need of significant relief of a highly sensitive pressure point on the 1st met head.
- Allows other weight bearing surfaces to take the pressure while relieving the more sensitive spot, allowing it to “float” with protection from pressure.
- Can be used for other areas as well.
Request in Special Instructions section of order form (e.g., “Add 1/8" relief to met head and pad with PPT at plantar surface.”).
Using Plastic and Softy foam liners together
- For large patients when both softness and strength are needed.
- Use extra plastic (PE, CoPoly, PolyPro) inner boot for two-part Softy orthoses, in addition to the standard DAFO Softy inner boot.
- Trade-off is in bulk— creates a thicker DAFO.
Use a DAFO Softy order form—one is available for most custom brace styles. Request in Special Instructions section of order form (e.g., “Add polyethylene plastic inner liner in addition to Softy foam liner”). Additional charge.