Reducing excess bulk/volume
For patients having problems fitting DAFOs into shoes.
- Avoid bottom treatment unless it is critical.
- Trim the toe shelf and forefoot trimlines back, especially on the non-controlling side.
- Example: for a pronated foot, trim back the medial side of the forefoot.
- Trim straps to minimum length and consider removing the forefoot strap when the brace is worn inside the shoe.
- Do not use a toe rise pad.
- Do not use an instep pad on Softy and Polyethylene-lined brace styles.
Layover forefoot strap - no rivet
- Removes rivet as a potential pressure point.
- Allows you to try using the brace without a forefoot strap.
Request in Special Instructions section of order form (e.g., "Layover forefoot strap with no rivet").
"Y" instep strap
- Eliminates double thickness of instep strap.
- Serves as both a forefoot and instep strap, eliminating the forefoot strap.
- Helpful for patients with limitations to hand use—simplicity of a single strap is an advantage.
Request in Special Instructions section of order form (e.g., "Add Y instep strap").